Do You Have Pet Toxins in Your Home? Take Precautionary Steps Towards Reducing the Chance of Contact for Your Pet

Education / Blog / Do You Have Pet Toxins in Your Home? Take Precautionary Steps Towards Reducing the Chance of Contact for Your Pet

Do You Have Pet Toxins in Your Home? Take Precautionary Steps Towards Reducing the Chance of Contact for Your Pet

You know that any enticing smell will bend your pet’s nose and peak their curiosity – especially dogs. As a pet owner, you should take it upon yourself to limit as many harmful elements as possible within your home or at least limit pet access to them. You may be surprised to learn that the following household items can lead to serious medical issues when ingested:

  1. D-Con and other rat poisons: These are commonly found in garages, basements and outdoor sheds.
  2. Anti-freeze: This is another very common toxin that we see at Butte Oroville Veterinary Hospital. The car fluid smells sweet to dogs and is very appealing to curious pets.
  3. Chocolate: You’ve heard that chocolate is dangerous to dogs and the myths are true, at least in large doses. Keep in mind that dark chocolate is more harmful for dogs than milk or white chocolate and bakers chocolate is the worse yet.
  4. Batteries: A common household item, batteries are oftentimes the most frequent toxins that we see. When dogs chew, and ingest, batteries, the acid quickly spreads. That acid can tear apart your dog’s mouth, throat and intestines.
  5. Fertilizers: The chemicals that are made to tend to landscaping can smell great to dogs, but they contain many harmful elements that can harm stomach lining in a matter of hours.
  6. Detergents: There is a reason that detergents are so effective in cleaning, it’s because they are loaded with chemicals and enzymes. Even the natural and organics brands can be harmful if ingested.
  7. Grapes: While the chemical components have yet to be confirmed, we know that there is an enzyme in grapes, and raisins, are harmful to dogs and their digestive systems.
  8. Mothballs: You know that weird smell that people associate with mothballs? For some reason it actually smells good to dogs.
  9. Prescription medication: Similarly to humans, medications are prescribed to one person depending on the individual’s size, weight and medical needs. Your pills may not only contain harmful doses, but many human medications do not correlate to animals.
  10. Tobacco and marijuana: Both substances can be harmful to dogs if ingested. Our hospital strictly follows a "no judgment” attitude so that our clients feel comfortable approaching us with any needs concerning the health of their pets.

 

You’re probably thinking, "I can’t get rid of batteries or my prescription medications…” and we completely agree! The above items are household items for a reason, that’s because most households require them or opt to have them on hand. The thing to remember is to properly store the items in secure locations that your dog can’t edge into. For example, keep rat poison and landscaping materials locked up in the garage and keeping chocolate and grapes off of low counters or tables.

Should your pet come in contact with any toxins, or even if you think they have been exposed, please call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline at (888) 426-4435 and notify your veterinarian immediately.

Even the most common household products can be fatal to dogs depending on the size of your dog and the amount consumed. However, when you act quickly, these problems can be quickly resolved and by taking precautionary steps you can reduce your pet’s chances of coming into contact with household toxins. Let us know if you have any questions about toxins or storage tips!

Posted Thursday, February 13, 2014